KNOW HOW TO SET YOUR SPORT OBJECTIVES
How can you reach an objective if you do not have one?
In order to prepare your season and a good training plan you must think about the objective your want to reach right from the start; this is a must!
If you do not set yourself an objective, your preparation will be disorganised, going in all directions except the right one, unsuitable. Finally, it will prevent you from reaching the expected result and performance.
On the contrary, a well designed strategy will lead to good preparation which will in turn yield real progress.
To achieve this, your objective must be expressed in several steps and according to certain rules.
First, ask yourself the following questions:
- What do I want?
- What will I get out of it?
- Are there any obstacles which could
prevent me from reaching my objective? Because of me? family and
friends? job constraints? …
- How will I know that I have reached my
- Are they any disadvantages in reaching my
- What do I need to reach this objective?
The following rules must be respected; the objective must:
- Be expressed positively.
- Depend on the person concerned.
- Be put into context (where, when, how).
- Be realistic.
- Be good for you.
- Be expressed in terms of means.
The following rules must be respected:
- Difficult goals which contain a challenge
lead to better performance than goals which are too easy.
Difficult and precise goals are more efficient than goals which
are vague and general. Controllable and flexible goals are more
efficient than uncontrollable and inflexible goals.
- Long-term goals are more efficient if
they associated with short-term goals.
- It is only worthwhile setting goals if
you can see what your performance is, to appreciate the true
difference between the goal and the current performance (adapt a
- The goals must be accepted and the
athlete must be fully committed to reaching them.
- It will be easier to reach the goal if you have an action plan or strategies.
|Taking a few minutes now to think constructively will help you prepare a training plan adapted to the sporting objectives you are targeting.
||Setting an objective based on the previous instructions will involve analysis which will allow you to appreciate the whole of the coming season.
Consequently, you will be an athlete fully aware and in control, right from the start, of all the elements which will be part of your preparation.
It is really worth the effort, since you will then be in a position to quickly take the decisions which are always required in order to reach your objective.
You will be on the road to success!